Get to know some of our members through their answers to these questions:
1. Why do you run?
2. What do you like to do in your free time when you aren’t running?
3. List one random fun fact about yourself.
4. What is your favorite race, and why?
5. Optional – List up to 3 personal bests at various distances.
- When I was around 10 years old, I discovered that I was a talented distance runner (which was not very common growing up in Philly). Running has been a major component of life ever since and I wouldn’t be who I am today without it. Now that I am heading into my 30’s, I’d like to see what these legs are further capable of.
- Cat mom to King George; reading/Netflix; visiting family and friends in Philly.
- I didn’t get my drivers license until I was 26.
- My favorite race is any1500m because it’s like the mile, but shorter.
- Notable PRs: Mile: 5:16.01 (post-college); Half: 1:25:18 (post-college); 5K: 18:23 (college).
- My dad had been running since I can remember. After finishing up my field hockey career he got me into it. Also, I love ice cream!
- I love to cook and bake, so I’m usually in the kitchen!
- I can ride a unicycle.
- My favorite race is the Pittsburgh Marathon… It was the first marathon I saw my dad run in when I was very young and it was my first marathon two years ago. It’s the race that got me hooked!
- Notable PRs: 5k – 19:54, Half-Marathon – 1:28:42, Marathon – 3:09:35.
- I run to manage stress and stay healthy, and because I love the personal challenges and improvements associated with training over time. I also run because I really love cookies, the outdoors and my runner friends!
- When not running, I like to travel, sing karaoke, drink wine and organize stuff.
- I never got a high school diploma (or a GED). Made it to the next level anyway.
- My favorite race is the the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot in my hometown of Johnson City TN. I love holiday races in general. There’s just something in the air.
- Notable PRs: Marathon – Mohawk Hudson River Marathon (2016) 2:53:50; Half Marathon – Rock N Roll DC Half (2016) 1:24:17; 10 Mile – Broad Street (2021) 1:01:22.
- I started running in high school to stay in shape for field hockey. I’ve kept running because I enjoy it, it is good exercise, I’ve met great friends through running, and I like to compete.
- I like to cook and bake, and spend time at the beach.
- I played percussion in the band from 4th grade through graduating high school. My favorite were the mallet instruments like the xylophone and marimba, and I could play with 4 mallets. Running fun fact: I’ve competed in a summer biathlon (cross country running and target shooting) and am planning to do more.
- My favorite race is the Gobble Hobble 5k in Sandyston, NJ. My family has run it every Thanksgiving morning since it started in 2014, and it is a great community event.
- Notable PR’s: Road 5k – 17:46 (2021 Hartz Fall Blast) (or Track 5k – 17:23 at 2014 Swarthmore Last Chance Meet – college); 5 miles – 29:35 (2021 York White Rose Run); Marathon – 2:59:53 (2019 Steamtown)
- I originally because I was forced to join my older siblings in it. After a few years, I discovered I highly enjoyed the feeling I had after running and that sense of accomplishment when you finished a race or hard run. I ran many years for myself, and now I enjoy being able to help friends with their own workouts.
- I do love to swim when not running. I grew up swimming competitively so it always holds a special place for me. When not exercising, I love to read and learn about the human body. I now run my own business, as of very recently, so this new career path takes up almost all of my free time now. I also enjoy anything that has to do with dessert, pastries, ice cream, etc. I only have sweet teeth.
- I was a professional triathlete up until 2021, and had the opportunity to represent the US at the World Championships.
- My favorite race is Run for the Diamonds. To be honest…I haven’t done many running races recently, but this one is a staple for my entire family. For the last 15 years at least one member of our family has run it on Thanksgiving day. It’s a 9 mile race in Berwick, PA that has a large turnout of participants, plus a ton of semi drunk fans that cheer you on throughout the course. Bonus: you can actually win a diamond.
- Notable PRs: 5k (*triathlon) 16:50; 1600m: 5:10; 9 mile: 55:11
- I run for fitness and sanity. I’ve been a runner my whole life, but didn’t get competitive with until my mid-20’s, now ten years later I continue to get faster! Plus, there’s nothing like the endorphins you get from a long run or a hard workout.
- I have a daughter who is the coolest little kid out there, so obviously spending time with her! But I also love traveling, trying new restaurants and overall just being a social butterfly.
- Give me a glass of wine (or 3), a karaoke machine and I’ll put on a great show (many club members have witnessed this…it’s truly one of my favorite things to do)
- The Zack’s Place Thanksgiving Turkey Trot in Woodstock Vermont. Woodstock is the most charming little town and my entire extended family would participate every year (usually a little hungover J). It will always have a special place in my heart!
- Notable PRs: 5k-19:10, Marathon-3:14, 5 mile- 32:10
- Running is my zen time. I love helping newbies get into my sport.
- Grandkids/family. Baking cookies. Anything sewing related.
- I took piano lessons third through eleventh grade.
- I love the half distance in general – 13.1. No extra training needed & minimal recovery days.
- Notable PRs: 4 mile -22:56; 10k – 35:56; 13.1 – 1:22:05
- I love both the competitive side and meditative aspect of being outside exploring by yourself. I like challenging myself.
- I’m usually architecting, but I also draw a lot, and drink coffee and eat snacks with my cat.
- I have an extra bone in my ankle.
- My favorite race is the Escarpment Trail Run. Good, wholesome, extremely questionable fun in the mountains.
- Notable PRs: Cherry Blossom 10 Miler – 56:36, Penn Relays OD 5k – 17:22, Chambersburg Christmas Dash 10k – 35:05; also holder of multiple FKTs including: Blue Hills Skyline Trail (MA), Scott Farm to Doyle Hotel on the AT (PA), Wissahickon Four Corners (PA), La Luz Trail (NM), Schunemunk Ridge Loop (NY), Cumberland Valley on the AT (PA), and Buzzard Marathon (PA).
- I’ve been running since I was 12 years old. It’s just a part of who I am!
- If I’m not working, watching my favorite shows, or reading about my favorite subjects at home, you’ll likely find me at any number of live music venues in Lancaster, or hanging out at coffee shops and bars.
- I was in an M. Night Shyamalan movie as a kid.
- Probably the 5k. I love to run fast, but I also enjoy the strategy. Kicking into high gear over the last 1000m or so is always fun too.
- Notable PRs: 1500m – 4:39; 5000m – 16:51; 10,000m – 35:07
- The reason I run is to continue to challenge myself and strive for my highest potential. This is accompanied by amazing friendships and being part of an outstanding community.
- When I am not running, I like to bike and swim – mostly to prepare for the triathlon season. Outside of athletics, I enjoy spending time with my two rescue puppies, trying new IPAs, reading memoirs and sipping on a delicious latte, an americano, or an espresso. I also dabble with some German literature, music, and films.
- I only began my running career in 2014. My first athletic engagement was with Rugby, starting in 2007 at Millersville University. I continued to play with the Lancaster Thorns Women’s team until 2014.
- The obvious answer would have to be the Boston Marathon, but I have an adoration for the Red Rose 5 Miler and of course the Beer Mile!
- Notable PRs: Rehoboth Marathon: 3:24:58, Amos Herr Honey Run 5k: 20:48, F and M Beer Mile: 8:28 (club record).
- I run because I love pushing myself and testing my physical and mental limits. Running has also been a huge social outlet for me as many of my running buddies are lifelong friends.
- I enjoy hiking with my husband, going for walks with my two boston terriers, and gardening.
- In the last 10 years, I’ve lived in five different states.
- My favorite race is either the mile or 5k because I love running in a pack and giving it everything the last 400m of a race.
- Notable PRs: Mile: 4:41 (Indoor Track); 10k: 35:42 (Crescent City Classic in 2018); Half Marathon: 1:18:19 (Rock ‘N’ Roll New Orleans in 2018).
- I love that sense of accomplishment you get after each run. Staying healthy, providing some time for yourself or socializing with your friends on a long run is good for the soul. I still love to challenge myself, race fast and work toward a goal I’ve set for myself.
- I love being a Mom to my two children, Declan and Kennedy. My husband and I love to travel and spend time at our cabin. We love watching college sports and of course hanging out with our F and M Track Club crew.
- I was a competitive dancer for 9 years as a child. I could probably live off of Eggo waffles and cereal if I had to.
- I love racing the Disney Princess Half Marathon at Disney World every year. It’s always a girls trip and mostly women run the race. It’s so fun, we dress up and everyone is so positive and supportive of each other.
- Notable PRs: Road mile: 4:55, Half Marathon 1:19, Marathon 2:46.