The first September workout although it certainly does not yet feel like Fall – especially if you were out this AM. Not much racing this holiday weekend but major kudos to Rachel Rowe (Georgetown/FMTC) who lined up against the F&M, Lebanon Valley, and Millersville XC teams taking 2nd place overall (19:06) in the Alumni 5K open race at Baker Field. Last weekend Jay took down all the Solanco HS kids in a 2-mile XC race (not sure if that is good or bad? – it definitely is good for the 50-year-old !) and Katie O ran 4th at the World Master Mountain Run in Ireland (all times are in today’s LNP).
We will have both Tuesday 7:30 A.M. and 6 P.M. workouts this week. The first 2 posted below are both rather challenging but a good way to start the month and build for Fall racing. I plan to work out with the A.M. group. Jason will have water but there will be NO PBRs this week.
Save the Dates:
Saturday, October 22nd FMTC Group social event
Tuesday, December 13th FMTC Annual Holiday WOW and General Membership Meeting @ Reology Studios.
WORKOUT options for 9/6/2022
2 to 3 – mile easy warm-up + drills / strides
- 4 x 400m with 60s RI; 2 x 800m 2 min RI, 1 x 1600m 3 min RI; , 1 x 3200m
- 2 x [1,2,3,4,5 minutes] with 2 min recovery after each rep
- First 3 minutes at 10K pace / 4 and 5 min at 5K race pace
- PRE-RACE WEEK: 6 x 400m @ 10K pace with 400m RI – 2 min slower
4 x 100m strides, 25 push-ups, Campus-loop cool down…finish up and talk with your teammates about running, life, or whatever comes up.
Running quote of the week:
“…Or we can blaze! Become legends in our own time, strike fear in the heart of mediocre talent everywhere! We can scald dogs, and put records out of reach! Make the stands gasp as we blow into an unearthly kick from three hundred yards out! …They’ll speak our names in hushed tones, ‘those guys are animals’ they’ll say! We can lay it on the line, bust a gut, and show them a clean pair of heels. We can sprint the turn on a spring breeze and feel the winter leave our feet! We can let our demons loose and just wail on!
– “Once a Runner”. JL Parker, JR
RACING AHEAD – also see FMTC Club Calendar
- 9/10/22 Bird-in-Hand ½ Marathon (several FMTC members are in)
- 9/18/22 USATF Masters 12K, Highlands, NJ
- 9/11/22 Main Line 5K in Wayne, PA
- 9/18/22 Philadelphia Distance Run
- 10/2/22 Run for Conservation, 5K XC run Brandywine, PA